Thursday, April 5, 2012

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins


Title: Impulse
Impulse #1
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: January 23rd 2007
Pages: 666
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Blurb:
Tony's painful childhood memories can be quelled only through pills. Vanessa has a secret that keeps her coming back to the blade. And Connor seems to have the perfect life on the outside, but his inward battle with his parents, his peers, and himself give him one last choice - to pull the trigger.
These are three lives that would have been cut short if not for the hasty intervention by loved ones. Or fate. Now they are given a second chance at a better life - but only if they help one another, and if they find the strength to let go of thier inner demons. For good.
(Blurb from my edition)

My review:
OH MY F***ING GOD!!!! This book seriously tipped me over the edge into amazement! I accidentally started yesterday (I thought I was going to read Inheritance #2), but I couldn't put the book away until I was finished. And now I feel like crying because it's over.
Impulse by Ellen Hopkins is an AMAZING masterpiece! She writes her novels like poems and that gives the whole story a so intense feeling that you just read with your jaw dropped, drooling. Seriously. The story is about these three youngsters who meet at the Aspen Springs home for mentally disordered. A lot of things happens in such short time and it was very sudden that I looked up and saw that I was halfway through. They meet and have a huge influence on each others lives, both good and bad. I won't give you any spoilers, you'll have to read it yourselves! And TRUST ME, you will NOT be disappointed!

Hopkins is an amazing author. Her writing style takes away all the unnecessary elements, and that is one of the reasons why it was so intense. I normally don't read poetry or what resembles it, but I loved this book! I got to read more of her! She made me feel 100% how the main characters did, and if they had a hard time, I could feel it in my chest. No kidding. I've never felt so combined with book characters before, but that may be because of the character of the story. This was not a fantasy-novel. This was a novel which describe some very real feelings and things that are going on in the world. Hopkins didn't have to take me to a new world. She just used our own.
I love fantasy, but I must say, I've NEVER been so impressed by a book that takes place in our own world. I can only say one thing to you guys: READ IT READ IT READ IT READ IT!! You will be astonished by how deep this book will set marks in you.

Find Hopkins here:
Goodreads
Website
Impulse Facebook Page

7 comments:

Bengal Reads said...

Another awesome review Sofie! I have never read poetry before, but after reading your review I will have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! This book sounds really emotionally intense! I can't wait to see what you think of the rest in this series. I am going to start automatically putting the books you like on my To Be Read List!!!

Sofie Kemp Lange said...

Kayla: Thank you so much for the sweet words! You should really give it a try! I wasn't disappointed AT ALL! :D and I must say, I'll do the same with the books you like! <3

Ellen Hopkins said...

Thanks so much, Sofie. Now you'll have to read PERFECT, which is a companion to IMPULSE. Enjoy!

Sofie Kemp Lange said...

Ellen: I'm definitely going to! I already got the book, and I'm looking so much forward to reading it! :D Thanks for reading my review!

Bellas Shelf said...

I know how u feel Sophie, I felt the SAME when I first read one of Ellen's books.
I noticed that poetry feel and style to her writing too.
There is a technical term for it but I forgot it.
All of Ellen's book are like this. They are all intense, they put you into the characters mind and soul, you feel as if you are right there living it with them.
She has a truly unique, wonderful style.

Bellas Shelf said...

Can I just say OMMMGGGGGGGG Ellen left a comment! Thats awesum!!!
I couldn't hold it in any longer!!!
lolz..

Sofie Kemp Lange said...

Books and Beyond: Thanks for sharing your thoughts! And if all her books are like this, I'll have to read them all!!
And you're totally right!! SHE LEFT A COMMENT! :D I went into overdrive mode when I saw it! :D LOL

Post a Comment